- This event has passed.
Rock Steady Boxing at the Bell Road YMCA
August 16, 2021 @ 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
ROCK STEADY BOXING AT THE BELL ROAD YMCA
Rock Steady Boxing gives people with Parkinson’s disease hope by improving their quality of life through a non-contact boxing based fitness curriculum.
In this class, one-fourth of the time is spent doing the actual hitting on the heavy bags and speed bags.
The remainder of the class is spent doing a variety of things as follows:
• Coordination: foot movements combined with arm movements
• Walking and gait activities
• Strength training with light weights, resistance tubing and body bars
• Obstacles-stepping over objects forward and back as well as lateral movements
• Balance training with weight shifting activities as well as static balance
• Fine motor skills with games such as Operation, stringing beads, buttoning, etc.
• Cognition-remembering sequences, games like Simon Says
• Flexibility-stretches and yoga type activities
• Core work-seated or on the mat
• Voice activation-reading tongue twisters, yelling favorite food, singing songs like Row, Row, Row your boat
• Days: Monday – Thursday
• Time: 11:30am – 12:45pm
• Monthly Cost: $25 Members || $50 Non-Members
• Daily Rate: $10 Members || $15 Non-Members
NOTE: you must have a diagnosis of Parkinson’s by a doctor; then an assessment will be completed by a Rock Steady Coach.
Contact Marcie Peake at 334.271.4343 or firstname.lastname@example.org